Skip to main content

Baroque Blog

 




                                                                                    Art

                                                    

Johannes Vermeer painted  Girl with a Pearl Earring, He painted it in 1665-1667 using oil paints on canvas the painting is about 44.5x39 cm in his hometown of Delft. When looking at this painting the first thing that catches my eye is the dark background, with the person being the centerpiece. The color choice of yellows stands out to me it brings a sense of richness to whoever he is painting. The texture of the clothing and the turbin also makes this stand out as you can tell what it is, as well as the focus of the pearl earring. The pearl did not stand out to me when I first looked at this picture the first thing that I noticed was the the yellows of the clothing. I would own something like this but I would need to figure out where to put it.

Analysis 

Girl with a Pearl Earring was painted during the Dutch Golden Age, at that time artists painted for the rich or middle class, and having pearls and bright colors was a sign of that. After the painting was finished it was lost for over 200 years after being found being sold, Since 1902 it has rested at the Mauritshuis in The Hague. The rise of the merchant class best represents this painting, Johannes focused on painting everyday life during the Golden Age, and merchants profited from the trade and purchasing of these middle and upper-class paintings. Since the rise of the economy was going up this was a great selling point for most painters like Johannes Vermeer, who took this opportunity to make a profit off it during the rich times in the Golden Age.


                                               Comparison to the Renaissance
 Girl with a Pearl Earring was often referred to as the Dutch version of the Mona Lisa by   Leonardo da Vinci. The difference between them though is that the Mona Lisa is considered a portrait, while Girl with a Pear Earring is considered a tronie which is the Dutch version type of a person. They also relate to these two pieces because of their smiles and mysterious character. Looking at the Mona Lisa and Girl with a Pearl Earring, The Mona Lisa uses very dark tones almost mysterious, while Girl with a Pearl Earring uses bright rich tones, so the eras resemble different color pallets.











Bibliography 

Dr. Steven Zucker and Dr. Beth Harris, "Johannes Vermeer, Girl with a Pearl Earring," in Smarthistory, August 9, 2015, accessed February 29, 2024, https://smarthistory.org/johannes-vermeer-girl-with-a-pearl-earring/.

“Johannes Vermeer Girl with a Pearl Earring.” Mauritshuis, www.mauritshuis.nl/en/our-collection/artworks/670-girl-with-a-pearl-earring/. Accessed 29 Feb. 2024. 

“Dutch Golden Age Painting Movement Overview.” The Art Story, www.theartstory.org/movement/dutch-golden-age/. Accessed 29 Feb. 2024. 

“Mona Lisa.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 5 Feb. 2024, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mona_Lisa.

Trancart, François-Xavier. “The Legacy of Vermeer’s Girl with a Pearl Earring.” Artsper Magazine, 1 July 2022, blog.artsper.com/en/a-closer-look/the-legacy-of-vermeer-painting-girl-with-a-pearl-earring/#:~:text=Painted%20in%201665%2D66%20for,technique%20of%20colors%20and%20reflection.

Comments

  1. Hi Janae! I'm really glad that someone chose to do this art piece. I agree with you when you said "The pearl did not stand out to me when I looked at this picture." I also didn't notice the pearl earrings but the bright colors of the yellow and blue fabrics. With the background only colored in black, these two colors really stand out like sunlight is shining just right on her. I also like how detailed the clothes and turban are because we can see where the bumps and depths are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello , I actually noticed the pearl right away. I always find it interesting what others notice first.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My First Blog

      Hello,  My name is Janae, I am from Battle Ground, Washington a small town about 45 minutes from Portland, Oregon. I love the outdoors i spend as much time as possible outside when the weather allows it since we get tons of rain from October through May. On the side, I do photography mostly going to the beach and taking pictures there since it is one of my favorite places. In the summer I ride quads also known as four-wheelers down in the sand dunes it has been my hobby since I was four years old and I'm glad my family has continued going as I grew up. This last year I picked up an old hobby of mine I have started reading again and I have found so much joy in it and it's been taking up much of my free time.  Lach, Remy. “How to Paint a Watercolor Landscape in Just One Color.” Doodlewash® , 9 June 2020, doodlewash.com/tutorial-how-to-paint-a-watercolor-landscape-with-only-one-color/. Lach, Remy. “How to Paint a Watercolor Landscape in Just One Color.” Doodlewash® , 9 June

Classical Era blog The Growing Economic Power of the Middle Class

                      Background  During The Growing Economic Power of the Middle Class in the 1700s artists started transitioning to making paintings of everyday life, landscapes, and portraits of middle-class people. The rise of wealth made it so that more individuals could afford commissions. The artworks below will show examples of everyday life, portraits and landscapes. The growing economic power of the middle class helped artists be able to profit and sell their paintings for more. Since the industry was offering  more jobs, more people worked and were able to spend large amounts of money either responsibly or irresponsibly.                                             Artworks    Marriage A-la-Mode: 1, The Marriage Settlement William Hogarth made a series of six paintings this is the first one in the series called    Marriage A-la-Mode: 1, The Marriage Settlement . It was created around 1743 its 69.9 x 90.8cm. These paintings were supposed to be engraved and then sold to the Ear

Preferences and Perspectives - The Romantic Era

      The Romanticism Era lasted from around the late 18th century through the mid-19th century. It originated in Europe before spreading to other parts of the world, some styles that came out of this were Realism, Impressionism, and Post Impressionism. They wanted to express emotions being able to feel what you see in the paintings when looking at them. I will be presenting four paintings comparing Impressionism and Realism.                                                                                 Impressionism  Impressionism in simple terms is practicing painting our doors at random or spontaneously rather than being in a studio or making out your own sketches. This style is my favorite, It feels natural and more personal than most of the other styles. When I have to choose an art pieces my eyes always gravitate to Impressionism. When I look at any artwork that is in this style it feels alive to me and natural. This style is where artists realized they did not have to be in stu