Skip to main content

Classical Era blog The Growing Economic Power of the Middle Class

 


                Background

 During The Growing Economic Power of the Middle Class in the 1700s artists started transitioning to making paintings of everyday life, landscapes, and portraits of middle-class people. The rise of wealth made it so that more individuals could afford commissions. The artworks below will show examples of everyday life, portraits and landscapes. The growing economic power of the middle class helped artists be able to profit and sell their paintings for more. Since the industry was offering  more jobs, more people worked and were able to spend large amounts of money either responsibly or irresponsibly. 





                                   Artworks 

 Marriage A-la-Mode: 1, The Marriage Settlement

William Hogarth made a series of six paintings this is the first one in the series called  Marriage A-la-Mode: 1, The Marriage Settlement. It was created around 1743 its 69.9 x 90.8cm. These paintings were supposed to be engraved and then sold to the Earl of Squanders, The Earl is arranging a marriage of his son to the daughter of a rich Alderman of the City of London. It shows that money and financial stability are more important than love, Hogarth depicted the social commentary and moral narratives during the growth of economic power. Looking at this painting the colors that he chose catch my eye the reds and blues make it feel rich but the value is very dark and almost gloomy the line work and detail of each person and background image are very prominent. I like this painting but I would not own anything like this. 













Jean-Siméon Chardin created The Silver Goblet in France, Europe it is 16 7/8 x 19in and was finished in 1728. In his artwork, Jean mainly focused on still everyday life and objects in people's homes. Looking at his work it is mostly of still objects or of fruit and all still life the goblet is a luxury item that focuses on the taste of social life and the rising of the growth. Looking at this space fits very well when describing this, you can see the depth and dimension of the vase and objects on the table. The form of the glass in the back brings almost an eerie feeling to it with the shape and placement since it is a dark background my eye first noticed the vase in the background rather than the goblet because it felt out of place and my eyes easily attracted to it. I would own a piece like this I would just not know where to put it but I like the sense of what the picture gives. 










Thomas Gainsborough painted Mr and Mrs Andrews in 1750 it is 69.8cm x119.4cm it is a portrait of a wealthy landscape that captures the social status and lifestyle of this married couple which relates back to my theme. It was praised for its charm and freshness. Looking at this painting it feels rich and a sense of pride. The line art is where you can see all the strokes which gives it a lot of detail the first thing that attracts my eyes is the background and not the couple. The background gives me a warm feeling a sense of relief and a cozy background to it. I would not own something like this even though it is a nice painting it just isn't something that would be in my home. 

All three of these artists relate to this time period of the economic growth of the middle class. I love seeing how each one took a different approach to what they thought the growing was.Between portraying people, to objects, landscape even everyday life. Each was all so different but all fit within the same timeframe. 





                                                            Bibliography 
Hogarth, William. “William Hogarth, Marriage A-La-Mode: 1, the Marriage Settlement.” William Hogarth | Marriage A-La-Mode: 1, The Marriage Settlement | NG113 | National Gallery, London, www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/william-hogarth-marriage-a-la-mode-1-the-marriage-settlement. Accessed 18 Mar. 2024.

“The Silver Goblet.” Saint Louis Art Museum, 10 Mar. 2024, www.slam.org/collection/objects/33818/.

“Development of the Middle Class (Article).” Khan Academy, Khan Academy, www.khanacademy.org/humanities/us-history/the-gilded-age/gilded-age/a/development-of-the-middle-class. Accessed 18 Mar. 2024.

“Mr and Mrs Andrews.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 8 Mar. 2024, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr_and_Mrs_Andrews.







Comments

  1. Hello Janae! You've definitely got one of the more unique methods of organization that I've seen thus far. I would recommend checking your formatting in the "view" tab though, you've got some highlight shenanigans.
    I agree with your statement on the second painting, that feels darker than many other still-life style paintings I've seen. I like that you started a conversation about expanded merchant classes with a monetary painting subject. I wouldn't have thought someone would pay money to get a painting of people arranging a marriage, but it does make a strong statement about where the minds of these rising merchants were.
    The third painting seems the most characteristic of a commission for a household. It probably is what bears the most resemblance to a sort of family photo like we might have today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the third painting, I'm not sure I see where the charm and freshness is coming from. The dim lighting and stormy clouds give me a sense of anxiety rather than relief, and the poor weather captures my attention much more than the supposedly rich landscape. I can definitely see how it relates to the theme though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janae, I saw your blog and the difference really pulled me in. I can see you are trying different things. Your first painting “ A la mode “ is a painting like you said, really shows that in that era love does not matter. Status was really important. I like how the men are just sitting around like nothing to see here. I wish it was a brighter painting to be able to see the different details in the outfits. The Mr and Mrs. Andrews painting really depicts the wealth that they had, especially if the background depicts all the land they own. Seems like it goes for miles and miles. Beautiful bright outfits to show others that they are made of money.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My First Blog

      Hello,  My name is Janae, I am from Battle Ground, Washington a small town about 45 minutes from Portland, Oregon. I love the outdoors i spend as much time as possible outside when the weather allows it since we get tons of rain from October through May. On the side, I do photography mostly going to the beach and taking pictures there since it is one of my favorite places. In the summer I ride quads also known as four-wheelers down in the sand dunes it has been my hobby since I was four years old and I'm glad my family has continued going as I grew up. This last year I picked up an old hobby of mine I have started reading again and I have found so much joy in it and it's been taking up much of my free time.  Lach, Remy. “How to Paint a Watercolor Landscape in Just One Color.” Doodlewash® , 9 June 2020, doodlewash.com/tutorial-how-to-paint-a-watercolor-landscape-with-only-one-color/. Lach, Remy. “How to Paint a Watercolor Landscape in Just One Color.” Doodlewash® , 9 June

Preferences and Perspectives - The Romantic Era

      The Romanticism Era lasted from around the late 18th century through the mid-19th century. It originated in Europe before spreading to other parts of the world, some styles that came out of this were Realism, Impressionism, and Post Impressionism. They wanted to express emotions being able to feel what you see in the paintings when looking at them. I will be presenting four paintings comparing Impressionism and Realism.                                                                                 Impressionism  Impressionism in simple terms is practicing painting our doors at random or spontaneously rather than being in a studio or making out your own sketches. This style is my favorite, It feels natural and more personal than most of the other styles. When I have to choose an art pieces my eyes always gravitate to Impressionism. When I look at any artwork that is in this style it feels alive to me and natural. This style is where artists realized they did not have to be in stu