Skip to main content

Early Modern Blog

 

The Early modern era was a significant historical period from the 15th century to the 18th century. The images below are going to show examples of how World War I was evaluated and perceived by Three different artists.





Otto Dix painted  Soldiers' Grave Between the Lines in 1924, It is one of the many paintings in this series.  Dix was an artillery gunner in the trenches at the Somme and on the Eastern Front during World War I. The picture above focused on what was left of the battle and what happened. He described it as dead, dying, bombed-out landscapes and graves. Dix is also known for his harsh depictions of the way and the impacts of society. This gives a historical and personal background since he was part of World War I fitting it into the early modern era. This painting uses a lot of Space with the etchings and the texture of graves and cross, Shapes play a big part in this painting to outline what is being portrayed. When I looked at this painting I felt the darkness of what is being depicted in the scene I first noticed the moon in the background it gives a weary feeling to me. I would own something like this but I would not know where to put it. 





Käthe Kollwitz Created The Parents (Die Eltern) in 1923 in Germany on a woodcut piece as this was a famous form of creating art during this time It is 34.9x42/7 cm. This was influenced by World War I as her son died on the battlefield. This represents the loss and heartache of parents embracing each other and the devastating toll that the war had on people. She created multiple artworks like this in a series, relating to loss influenced by her son dying in the war. This is a personal relationship to the war so its more meaningful looking at these. Linework is used heavily within this painting as black ink is being used to draw this into wood. The form of the people gives it dimension. One thing I noticed when I looked at this I would have never guessed it was two people holding each other it is very hard to tell without the title. this is not one of my favorites, but It relates to the history of the impact of the war. I would not own something like this. This is a historical event that was a big deal to this time, since the modern era was about creating historical background and meaning, the meaning of brokenness and awareness of the war was really captured with the after-effects. 




John Singer Sargent painted Gassed in March 1919 a large oil painting with dimensions of 231cm x611cm located in the Imperial War Museum in London. John is showing the after-effects of mustard gas during the attack of World War I as they walk towards a medic area. Sargent was actually commissioned to paint this scene of the war and the aftermath of the wounded soldiers. Sargent uses Colors yellow and a darker brown to paint this but it brings out the setting of the war. The Value of this is very light even though the image is a sad and heartbreaking scene being created, there was a purpose to the lightness of the scene if it were darker and gloomy I think people would have a different reaction to it. Connecting this to the modern era this is capturing history so this fits well into this era. I would not own something like this in my house. One thing that really stands out to me when I see this painting is the background my eyes instantly gravitate toward it, it makes it feel more ominous.




“The Parents (Die Eltern).” Brooklyn Museum, www.brooklynmuseum.org/opencollection/objects/57360. Accessed 4 Apr. 2024.


“Gassed (Painting).” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 17 Feb. 2024, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gassed_(painting).


Moma | the Collection | Otto Dix. Soldiers’ Grave between the Lines (Soldatengrab Zwischen Den Linien) from the War (Der Krieg). (1924), www.moma.org/s/ge/collection_ge/object/object_objid-87721.html. Accessed 5 Apr. 2024.




Comments

  1. Hi Janae! All three of these pieces of art display the heartbreak and suffering caused by World War I extremely well. I agree that the shapes in Soldier's Grave are very important to the work. It uses very simple shapes, and the darkness of the scene makes them difficult to pick out, but the sharp edges of the cross and the moon stand out against everything else. The Parents is a very emotional work. I think that the lack of a background setting helps the viewer focus on the parents and add to the sorrow. To these parents, nothing else matters to them in this moment, so it makes sense for the background to be empty. I appreciate the detail you used in explaining the last painting. It was very helpful in understanding the background behind the Gassed. The colors really stand out to me. Usually, yellow is seen as a joyful color, but here it is paired with greens and browns that make the painting look dirty and realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All 3 of these art works very harshly depict the solemness of the war. Emotionally, they evoke a strong sense of empathy and well as sadness for the viewer. Dix and Kollwitz both solely use black in their work and this creates a very dark and hopeless feeling. Sargent does use color, but the colors stick to muted green, yellows, and tan and this creates a very dreary and sickly feeling, which works especially well given the subject matter is about mustard gas use within WW1. You make a great point about the vastness of the background being ominous.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My First Blog

      Hello,  My name is Janae, I am from Battle Ground, Washington a small town about 45 minutes from Portland, Oregon. I love the outdoors i spend as much time as possible outside when the weather allows it since we get tons of rain from October through May. On the side, I do photography mostly going to the beach and taking pictures there since it is one of my favorite places. In the summer I ride quads also known as four-wheelers down in the sand dunes it has been my hobby since I was four years old and I'm glad my family has continued going as I grew up. This last year I picked up an old hobby of mine I have started reading again and I have found so much joy in it and it's been taking up much of my free time.  Lach, Remy. “How to Paint a Watercolor Landscape in Just One Color.” Doodlewash® , 9 June 2020, doodlewash.com/tutorial-how-to-paint-a-watercolor-landscape-with-only-one-color/. Lach, Remy. “How to Paint a Watercolor Landscape in Just One Color.” Doodlewash® , 9 June

Classical Era blog The Growing Economic Power of the Middle Class

                      Background  During The Growing Economic Power of the Middle Class in the 1700s artists started transitioning to making paintings of everyday life, landscapes, and portraits of middle-class people. The rise of wealth made it so that more individuals could afford commissions. The artworks below will show examples of everyday life, portraits and landscapes. The growing economic power of the middle class helped artists be able to profit and sell their paintings for more. Since the industry was offering  more jobs, more people worked and were able to spend large amounts of money either responsibly or irresponsibly.                                             Artworks    Marriage A-la-Mode: 1, The Marriage Settlement William Hogarth made a series of six paintings this is the first one in the series called    Marriage A-la-Mode: 1, The Marriage Settlement . It was created around 1743 its 69.9 x 90.8cm. These paintings were supposed to be engraved and then sold to the Ear

Preferences and Perspectives - The Romantic Era

      The Romanticism Era lasted from around the late 18th century through the mid-19th century. It originated in Europe before spreading to other parts of the world, some styles that came out of this were Realism, Impressionism, and Post Impressionism. They wanted to express emotions being able to feel what you see in the paintings when looking at them. I will be presenting four paintings comparing Impressionism and Realism.                                                                                 Impressionism  Impressionism in simple terms is practicing painting our doors at random or spontaneously rather than being in a studio or making out your own sketches. This style is my favorite, It feels natural and more personal than most of the other styles. When I have to choose an art pieces my eyes always gravitate to Impressionism. When I look at any artwork that is in this style it feels alive to me and natural. This style is where artists realized they did not have to be in stu